Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kidney Stones

Before putting any pictures of the baby up (which Annie will be deciding which photos) I just had to add this picture of the first thing Annie Birthed during this pregnancy. OUCH!!!! My wife Rocks! (no pun intended)

If you've had them, you just cringed when you read my title. If you haven't, well, you have no idea! Yep, I've been dealing with kidney stones in my very pregnant body and it has been one crazy ride! Here's a quick summary of what I've had happen in the last 6 weeks:


-3 visits to 2 different hospitals

-2 kidney ultrasounds at the imaging clinic

-10 additional doctors visits (midwife, ob, 2 different urologists)

-3 rounds of antibiotics

-1 attempted surgeryto place a stent, which failed because of a kidney surgery I had as a child, plus the baby was in the way.

-Lots and lots of pain medicine

-Lots of talk with the doctors about them wanting to induce me early

(I was able to talk them out of it since the baby has been doing well)

-Finally passing one really big kidney stone!


They say a kidney stone is worse than labor, and if my memory doesn't fail me, I'd say it's pretty close, but I'll be able to compare a little better in a week or two!


We are so relieved to have this ordeal over with (we hope) and have become so aware of our blessings when times have been hard the last several weeks. Here's a much better list of what has happened:


-Fasting and prayers on my behalf by our wonderful families

-Several friends and neighbors who watched Kyson for hours at a time so I could rest and take my pain medicine, not to mention countless offers by others to do the same

-Several meals brought to us by caring neighbors, some who just showed up unannounced

-My wonderful mom dropping everything to come take care of Kyson and myself on several different occasions

-Several priesthood blessings

-Daily phone calls from family and friends, just to check on me

-A fabulous husband who picked up all the slack in taking care of Kyson and the house, made sure I took my medicine, drove me to all my appointments, missed out on sleep so that I could rest, and so much more!

-A (still unnamed) baby who is growing and doing well in spite of it all.


I have never felt so loved! Thanks so much to everyone who has helped us out. We really would not have survived without you! Hopefully my next post will have pictures of our sweet new baby boy!

7 comments:

Jesse said...

I am SO sorry! What a crummy past few months. I feel so bad that I didn't know! I wish I was there to help you! It is so funny, I kept thinking, "I need to call Annie." Then life happened and I kept forgetting. I feel like a horrible friend! On a happier note, I can't believe you are bringing home a new baby boy in a few weeks! I am so excited for you and I can't wait to see the pictures of him. Can you email me your address? Get feeling better and if you are up to it, give me a call soon! Love you!

Henderson said...

Yuck, so sorry! I am on a urology rotation right now, so while I don't know exactly how it feels to go through that, I have seen many patients going through similar situation and it really seems no fun at all. :(
But HOORAY for a new baby soon! I can't wait to see photos!!

Niki said...

I am so glad that everyone is taking such good care of you...but I have to admit, that is why I miss you all out there :) I am so glad you got that behind you...good luck with the new baby! We love you guys and are praying for you!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness!! That sounds terrible! I am so glad that you are over the worst!! I can't wait to see your cute little baby.

Kelly A. said...

Glad to hear you are better!! Let me know if you need ANYTHING when that baby comes--we are waaay closer now (yay!)

VonTana said...

How come there is no picture of the stone? That will get people to cringe

Ariel said...

Oh Annie! I am sooo glad to get an update. I wish I could have been there to help. I hope you are feeling better. I can't wait to hear more about the birth of your baby boy.